Penarth Ministry Area

This website covers the churches of  

St Augustine’s, Penarth

Holy Nativity, Penarth
St Dochdwy’s, Llandough

(Click here for All Saints, Penarth)


Having a wedding in church makes it a very special day and we have some beautiful churches within our Ministry Area. We would be very happy to help you make arrangements for your wedding day.

For information or to make a booking please contact our Administrators  029 22805663. They can guide you though the process and answer any questions you may have.

A wedding can take place in any of our churches as long as you live within the Ministry Area (ie in Penarth or Llandough) or meet one of the other qualifying conditions.

The law requires that at least one of those to be married should:


Visit the Church in Wales website for more details on legal requirements.

Information on Flowers, music & readings

Order of service templates: Full order of service

Basic template

Simple template 2 hymns

Simple template 3 hymns


What are banns?

When you get married in a Church in Wales or Church of England Church,  banns are a legal requirement (unless you marry by licence). Banns are an announcement in church of your intention to marry and a chance for anyone to put forward a reason why the marriage may not lawfully take place. They need to be read in the parish/Ministry Area where each of you lives as well as the church in which you are to be married, if that is somewhere else. They must be read in the 3 months before your wedding on 3 Sundays, often in consecutive weeks, but it doesn’t have to be. The minister or responsible person will make a short announcement at the start of or during the service beginning ‘I publish the banns of marriage between…’

Applying for banns & getting your banns certificate

If you live in this Ministry Area but are getting married somewhere else, you will need to fill in a banns application form and send it to our Ministry Area Office. We will check it and let you know when your banns will be read in church.  If you have any questions about this, please contact our Administrator Rachel Elder by email or call 029 22805663.

After your banns have been read three times, you need to collect the Banns Certificate and pay the £45 fee, but we will contact you about this. You need to give the Banns Certificate to the priest who is marrying you - at your wedding rehearsal usually. You may not be able to get married if you don’t present your banns certificate.


From 4 May 2021, we are no longer able to issue copies of marriage certificates.

You must enquire with the Vale of Glamorgan Register Office or the General Register Office.